Kirkoswald Parish Church Drawing by Struan Stevenson
"Fit to hold 800 hearers from a plan, and under the direction of David, Earl of Cassillis, who is resident proprietor of above two-thirds of the Parish". So reads one old account of the building of the Church in 1777. In fact the plan was prepared by the famous architect Robert Adam at the same time as he was working on Culzean Castle, and this lovely Church contains several Adam features. There is one remaining link with the pre-Reformation Church whose ruins can be seen in the Old Churchyard - the Bell rung first in 1677, which still summons the faithful to worship to-day.
Return to Photographs Page
|Copyright © 1999 W. F Couperthwaite. Neither this page nor any of its contents may be reproduced without prior consent of the author. Last updated 04 July 2000|